Ekiti State Government has expressed concern over the rising cases and deaths from Lassa fever in the country, including the recent loss of health workers to the disease.
The Permanent Secretary, Ekiti State Ministry of Health, Mrs Olusola Gbenga-Igotun, said although there were no confirmed Lassa fever cases in the state, the government had strengthened the capacity of healthcare workers and facilities, while also providing personal protective equipment and handwashing materials.
Gbenga-Igotun disclosed this in a statement titled, “Lassa Fever Advisory for Healthcare Workers: EKSG Calls for Heightened Index of Suspicion and Implementation of Infection Prevention and Control Measures in Healthcare Facilities,” made available in Ado Ekiti on Friday.
The advisory read, “Current surveillance data from the National Centre for Disease Control indicates a concerning increase in Lassa fever infections among healthcare workers in Nigeria, with 11 confirmed cases and two deaths recorded as of epidemiological week four, January 2026.
“Cumulatively, 121 cases have been confirmed nationwide, with 25 deaths since January 2026 to date. This situation calls for serious concern. We express our deep sympathy regarding the recent loss of healthcare workers to Lassa fever in the country.”
She urged residents to take personal responsibility to curb the spread of the disease within their communities and facilities, reiterating the state government’s commitment to promoting the health and well-being of healthcare workers.
The government also appreciated the dedication and ongoing efforts of healthcare workers, especially Infection Prevention and Control focal persons across state-owned tertiary, secondary, and primary health facilities.
The permanent secretary said, “Ekiti State Government has strengthened IPC capacity among healthcare workers through its IPC pillar. The pillar has provided guidelines to our facilities and holds regular meetings with IPC focal persons to ensure compliance.
“Personal protective equipment and handwashing materials are also distributed routinely to health facilities to ensure the safety of our workers. We now rely on our trained personnel to apply their expertise diligently during this period.”
She added that the state government, in collaboration with the NCDC, had advised healthcare workers to practise standard precautions at all times while handling patients and body fluids.
They were urged to maintain a high index of suspicion for Lassa fever, noting that not all fevers are caused by malaria.
Health workers were also advised to test suspected malaria cases using Rapid Diagnostic Tests. Where results are negative, other causes of febrile illnesses, including Lassa fever, should be considered and investigated. Any illness that does not respond to 48 hours of anti-malaria treatment or antibiotics should raise suspicion.
The advisory further urged regular cleaning of hospital environments using appropriate materials and methods, as well as safe disposal of healthcare waste.
“Implementing these measures is essential to reducing Lassa fever transmission and safeguarding the lives of healthcare workers. All suspected cases should be reported immediately to the local government Disease Surveillance and Notification Officer or through the Event-Based Surveillance Centre lines,” the statement added.
Earlier this week, A State Environmental Protection Agency warned food processors, garri production centres, and street food vendors to comply with strict hygiene and waste management standards or face sanctions as part of efforts to curb the spread of Lassa fever.
The agency’s Press Secretary, Aliyu Amode, had said it was concerned about environmental practices that could heighten the risk of the viral disease.
The General Manager of the agency, Jide Aina, noted that Lassa fever is commonly transmitted through contact with infected rodents or consumption of food contaminated by rodents’ urine or droppings.
“Food handlers occupy a critical position in safeguarding public health, particularly in preventing contamination during food processing, storage, and sales,” the statement read.

𝑭𝒐𝒍𝒍𝒐𝒘 𝑬𝑲𝑰𝑻𝑰𝑵𝑬𝑾𝑺 247 𝑾𝒉𝒂𝒕𝒔𝒂𝒑𝒑 𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒏𝒆𝒍 : https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VaAP3AqHLHQdNZ6UeL10